Frequently Asked Questions
Determining your Role: Dispatcher, Technician, or Both?
|Role||scheduling appointments||providing service in field|
|Platform||work.dispatch.me or Dispatch Manager||Dispatch Field|
|Calendar||can see all appointments||can only see appointments assigned to self|
How do I change the status of my job?
Jobs can have the following statuses in Dispatch, which have color-coded borders and headers in the web application:
- Offered: when a third-party enterprise/brand sends you a Job Offer (green)
- Unscheduled: when a Job exists but there are no Appointments are scheduled (red)
- Scheduled: when a Job has at least one Appointment scheduled (blue)
- In Progress: when a Technician has indicated that they are en route or have started an Appointment (orange)
- Paused: when a Job is waiting for some reason before it is completed (yellow)
- Complete: when all work on a Job is finished (gray)
For the most part, changing Job status results from actions being completed in the web application or mobile app. The below chart outlines the possible status changes and related actions.
|Start Status||Action||End Status|
|--||Create Job: no Date/Arrival added||Unscheduled|
|--||Create Job: Date/Arrival added||Scheduled|
|Offered||Decline||(no job access)|
|Unscheduled||Create Job: Date/Arrival added||Scheduled|
|Scheduled||On My Way/En Route||In Progress|
|Scheduled||Start Appointment/Started||In Progress|
|In Progress||Complete/Appointment Complete||Complete|
|Paused||New appointment scheduled||Scheduled|
|Complete||New appointment scheduled||Scheduled|
Job vs. Appointment: What's the difference?
Across field service enterprises, contractors, and systems, there are many different terms used to describe what and when services are delivered. In Dispatch, we use the terms Job and Appointment to capture these, and in order to create either, you must have a Customer.
- By Customer, we mean the individual or company that is having you complete work.
- By Job, we mean a specified project, work order, or other body of work that has scope and goals. It is not tied to time, date, or specific site visits.
- By Appointment, we mean a site visit at a particular time that fulfills the needs of a particular Job.
To sum it up, you must have a Customer to create a Job; you must have a Job to create an Appointment. You might complete multiple Jobs for the same Customer, and it might take multiple Appointments to complete a Job.
Who can see notes and photos?
Dispatch provides the ability to attach Notes and Photos that you complete and we are very conscious of the need to protect your business information. Here is how we manage access to your Notes and Photos:
- Customers have NO ACCESS to view notes and photos unless the Send Recap option is selected from the Mobile app.
- Enterprise/brand job providers only have access to Notes/Photos for Jobs that they provide you which you mark as PUBLIC; not all brands have or use this access at this time.
- Technicians in your organization only have access to Notes/Photos for Jobs that they were assigned.
- Dispatchers in your organization ALWAYS have access to Notes/Photos for ALL Jobs whether they are are PUBLIC or PRIVATE.
What if someone leaves my organization?
If someone leaves your organization, it is important that you deactivate that user so that he or she no longer can log into Dispatch and access your vital business data. If that individual ever works for you again, reactivating them is a very easy process.
What if I cannot see my Technicians or another Dispatchers Location?
Each user will need to go into your phone's Settings and enable Location Services for Dispatch Field and Dispatch Manager. If you cannot see the location of a Technician/Dispatcher, there are two things you will want to check. First, make sure the user is on the most up to date version of Dispatch Field. Second, make sure the user has their location services turned on. Our apps can only track location as long as this feature is turned on. See below for help on checking on both Apple and Android devices.
For Apple devices, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. From here, scroll to Dispatch Field and open the Location Settings. Confirm that Always is selected.
For Android devices, go to Settings > GPS Location and confirm that this is toggled on.
If you are continuing to have trouble, reach out to our Customer Success team, and we'll help troubleshoot more and address your problem thoroughly.