QuickBooks Online Sync Requirements and Details
Important: Quickbooks Online Automated Sales Tax setting
Due to a recent change in how QuickBooks Online processes sales tax on Estimates and Invoices using "Automated Sales Tax" (AST) calculation, Invoices and Estimates in Dispatch may not represent the proper tax calculated once a document syncs from Dispatch to QuickBooks Online. If you have enabled Automated Sales Tax in your QuickBooks Online account, the final calculation may be different between the tax rate you've selected in Dispatch and the calculation performed by QuickBooks Online.
We recommend familiarizing yourself with the QuickBooks Online Automated Sales Tax setting.
An update to our integration at a future date, currently dependent on QuickBooks Online, will allow for a reliable calculation based on the same rules provided by Intuit. If you operate in a State where the tax is simple, such as always a 6.25% and you've added the same rate in Dispatch, there will not be a discrepancy between the billing doc & payment collected, and the calculation in QuickBooks Online. Our integration update will automatically trigger AST in QuickBooks Online once a document syncs.
Streamlining your data between Dispatch and QuickBooks Online can help save time and energy from duplicating efforts.
There are a few pieces of data you can sync between QuickBooks and your Dispatch account; customers, billing documents and line items. You can Manually Sync your data at any time but your data will automatically sync every 15-30 minutes. As shown below, you can toggle whether you wish to Sync Estimates and Invoices automatically. By default, your Customers will sync between the platforms the "QuickBooks Enabled" status appearing.
Enabling Dispatch to sync your Customer data will import all of your existing customer base from Quickbooks into Dispatch. Customer profiles that currently exist within Dispatch already but do not exist in your Quickbooks records will create a new customer profile in QuickBooks as well.
Fields that Sync
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number (only primary, number set as "Send Notifications")
- Billing Address
- Customer Notes
- Customers linked as a sub-customer in QBO will not be listed as a sub-customer in Dispatch; you can mark a customer as a sub-customer in QBO at any time.
- First & Last Name: The combination must be unique with QBO; no exact same-names can be synced due to a limitation by QBO. These must be filled out in QBO in order for the customer to get created in Dispatch.
- Only a single email address per customer can be synced between platforms. If you have more than one email address for a customer in the "Email" field within QuickBooks, the customer sync will fail. You can add email addresses to the 'Notes' field under the customer within QBO as an alternative.
- A single "primary" phone number (labeled with "Send Notifications") in Dispatch will sync to the "Mobile" field in QuickBooks. Changing the Mobile phone number listed in QBO for the customer will add a new phone number to the customer, not overwrite. Additionally, Dispatch will not overwrite phone numbers in the other phone number fields for the customer.
- Deleting and Merging customers in QBO, if that customer has already synced to Dispatch, is not recommended. Once a customer is synced in Dispatch, we assign the customer ID that QBO provides. If the Customer ID that is synced then is deleted or merged to a different customer in QBO, the customer will fail to sync, including any Estimates and Invoices.
You may use a list of preferred, stored billing items that are commonly used with your Estimates and Invoices. These items can be stored in Dispatch and QuickBooks Online, providing an accessible list of preferred items for all users across your Organization.
Dispatch Fields that Sync
- Titles must be unique
New Items Created in Dispatch
In order for Dispatch to sync a new item to QBO, you must have a specific account type in your QBO account. By default, we sync any new items to this particular account type. If you wish not to have items under this 'Income' account type, you can ONLY create items in QBO first...then allowing the item to automatically create in Dispatch through the sync.
Under the 'Chart of Accounts', if you do not have an account labeled " Sales" under the "Income" type, you'll need to create one. The following shows you what should be selected when creating the new account:
Estimates and Invoices created in Dispatch will sync to QuickBooks Online at certain stages whether created from the web or mobile app. When viewing the list of Invoices or Estimates under the Billing section, you'll see a QuickBooks icon appear when a document has successful synced to a document with QuickBooks Online. You can then click on the Icon to open the exact document in QuickBooks online. When the icon is not showing, it means the document has not synced.
Documents that Sync
- Estimate that is "Sent", "Lost", "Won/Approved"
- Invoice that is "Sent", "Balance Due", "Paid"
- Document must not be in "Draft" status; we do not sync draft Estimates and Invoices
- Document must be created in Dispatch; we do not sync documents created or modified in QuickBooks Online to Dispatch
- Customer must be synced to QuickBooks Online for document to sync
- Line items must be synced to QuickBooks Online for document to sync
- Documents with a taxed line item do NOT sync
- Documents with a discount do NOT sync
Taking payments from customers on any Invoice in Dispatch will sync to QuickBooks Online, attached to the invoice in which you applied the payment.
Payments that Sync
- Credit Card
- Offline Card
- What will happen if I already have billing items in Dispatch before I sync to QBO?
We recommend deactivating the items in QBO prior to syncing. Items with the exact same name/title each in platform will fail to sync to QBO.
- How long does the sync take to finish?
The length of time required to sync all of your customers and billing items will depend on the number of records in your account. A safe time expectation is that we'll sync 1,000 customers per hour.
- Why are there customers which did not sync to Dispatch/QBO?
Dispatch requires certain fields with proper data in order for them (customers) to be created. For example, multiple email address in the "email" field within QBO will fail as Dispatch only allows for a single address in the email field. You can check the integration logs under Settings > Integration logs for more information about errors. Be sure to read the customers section of this article.